Friday, May 26, 2006

fifi-belle knows heaps of daggy stuff

When I was looking through family photo albums as a child, I was always fascinated by one of the captions. It was a picture of a convent in Wagga Wagga, and the note in my Grandfather's writing was
"a nun, sister Ligouri, caused a scandal when she escaped from this convent".
I thought this was pretty cool. I though it had to be some sort of sexy scandal, in which some rebellious nun got influenced by 20's flapper culture and decided to join the big bad world.
So today I googled the phrase, hoping to get the dirt on Sister Ligouri.
Sadly, there was no sex involved. Poor old Sister L had a fight with her mother superior over a broom and decided to run away with some protestant activists, who helped her sue the bishop of Wagga. Although she did accuse the convent of trying to poison her. So really, it was all about Irish nationalist politics.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home